Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Joining the Pink Ribbon Society

In my usual introverted way, I avoided getting involved in any breast cancer groups.  I figured that this is going to take such a short time that I really don't need to be in any support groups.  I have my few close friends who are true breast cancer survivors, but I was hesitant to really identify myself with the disease.

Yesterday, I had some weird symptoms.  I googled it, but didn't really get any answers, so I decided to check out the chat rooms on the  breast cancer site. http://community.breastcancer.org  I looked for the radiation survivors group and started to check out some of the conversations. 

Finally, I got up the nerve to register and post a question to the community.  Within an hour or so, there was a response!  Basically, she told me that my symptom was probably not related to the treatment.  But, she closed her post with "Good Luck"  I was surprised how much her short response encouraged me. 

This morning, I jumped on to see if anyone else had posted a response.  There was a really sweet note from a woman who is just beginning her treatments, but her diagnosis is very similar to mine.  Suddenly, I was engaged.  Here were women, like myself, who were at various stages on this journey.  They were friends I had not met yet.

I realize, once again, that I DO need the community.  I will not do as well if I am isolated.  My heart was encouraged just by these responses - just by being HEARD!  What a huge thing it is to be recognized and heard!  I realize now that my biggest mistake was not joining the community sooner.  While this journey has not been horrendous, it would have been a much more fulfilling experience if I had engaged sooner.

I plan to stay connected from now on.  I need it. 

With so much social media out there, it is easy to get spread way too thin.  But, I think when it comes to having a common struggle, finding others who are also on the same path can lead to greater richness in the fabric of our days.

No comments:

Post a Comment