Monday, January 3, 2011

I am Woman, I am Invincible, I am tired!

Years ago, when I had five small children, Synthia (another mother of five) had this bumper sticker on the back of her 7-passenger station wagon.  "I am woman, I am invincible, I am tired!"  I always loved it, because that was exactly how I felt.  With five children under 8, my days were overloaded with wash, car pools and sack lunches. But, I was determined to do a good job and, while I couldn't keep up with everything, at least I would get the main things done. 

Since Christmas, I have re-adopted (sp?) this slogan.  We had a wonderful trip to California to be with four of our five children over Christmas, but December 27th, I knew that the fatigue I was feeling was more than just jet lag.  Progressively, I have spent more time on the couch. 

My goal was to blog regularly about my journey, but I just haven't been able to sit down at the computer and have the energy or concentration necessary to write.  Usually, I would try to write in the evenings after I had gotten the necessities of the day finished.  That was too much.  So, today, I decided to get something written before 11am, when I seem to hit the wall. 

Every new year, I love to reflect on the past and set goals for the future.  Usually, my goal setting areas are rather all-encompassing, but this year, they are more modest.  At least for the immediate future, here they are:
1. Get up every morning and exercise for 30 minutes.
2. Take my vitamins and other supplements on schedule.
3. Try to eat the foods that promote health and stay away from those that feed cancer
4. Read through the Bible this year
5. Every morning, spend at least five minutes praying.

That's pretty much it.  The beauty of this is that I can accomplish 3 out of 5 within the first hour that I am up.  So, that's what I am doing.  I am determined to put whatever energy I have into those first 30 minutes.  Even though I am much slower and it takes more to get my exercises in, I feel it is essential to remain physically active.  Actually, exercise is probably one of the top ways to prevent cancer.  As I have been reading up on fighting cancer, it has been one of only a handful of common denominators.

It is now 11am, and I am fading, so I will wrap up this post with a few updates.  First of all, I have finished 22 treatments and only have 11 left.  That is good.  Secondly, Jim's mom seems to have gotten a second wind (thanks to good rehab work).  THAT is good.  Thirdly, I am realizing what amazing friends I have and how important it is to let others know what is going on in my life. 

I want to write a lot more, but it just isn't going to happen.  Hopefully, tomorrow, I can blog earlier in the morning and get a running start at it!  Blessings on your day!

No comments:

Post a Comment