Thursday, December 2, 2010

Full Out, Baby!

I have made a commitment in my life to "see" people.  The roots of that commitment go back to my experience during a summer job in Myrtle Beach, SC.  Daily, I worked in the T-Shirt department of the Gay Dolphin - also called the "Happy Fish" or the "Queer Porpoise"  (we were not politically correct in the early 70's)

My job was to help people pick out the iron-on picture that they wanted melted into their chosen T, and then to check them out.  It was my first time to work retail.  I began to notice that nobody "saw" me - the person.  I was only the functional body that helped them get what they wanted.  I was shocked that some people never even gave me eye contact - and I would TRY for it!  They saw me as a function and not as a person with a family and a history, who did more than stamp T-shirts!

From that summer on, I determined that I would always do my best to recognize people when they helped me.  It is not always possible, but my goal is to truly see people.

Today, when I went in for my treatment, Mildred recognized me before I got out of the car.  We said "Hi".  Then, I walked through the waiting room and really tried to attend to the people who were sitting there.  I think, to do it justice, I would have to sit down for the day and try to take it all in.  I didn't do that.  I just headed back to the women's changing room.

There was a slender black woman sitting in one of the seats, waiting to be called back for her treatment.  I quickly changed and sat down next to her - both of us in our matching blue gowns.  I introduced myself.  Her name is "Annie", and her story is strikingly similar to mine.  She is on her sixth treatment.  I am on my fourth.  I am sure we will have other conversations in the weeks ahead. 

Within a few minutes, my name is called and I am going back to the radiation room with one of the nurses.  I mess up on her name, but I will get it right the next time.  She is Michelle, not Melissa.  I have to flip over Gina's nametag (she's the other nurse today) to get her name right, but I won't miss it tomorrow.

My treatment is over in minutes.  They tell me that I do a really good job of getting in the right position on the board.  (I like getting A's, even if it is in positioning myself right for the cancer machine.)  I head back to the dressing room and there is a new woman there.  She is deeply engrossed in a magazine, so I imagine we will meet tomorrow.

As I head out to the parking lot, Mildred sees me coming. "I gottcha right here, Ms. McCool" she says as she grabs my keys from the board.

"How's it going today, Mildred?"

"Full Out, Baby!" she says over her shoulder as she goes to help another patient.

I really like her.  I can't wait to get to know her better.

No comments:

Post a Comment