Friday, December 17, 2010

Suffering redeemed

It feels like forever since I posted last.  I guess it was only Monday, but it seems like forever ago.

After our trip up to see Jim's mom on Sunday, I continued to be very concerned about her care, so Tuesday, after my treatment, I drove up to Huntsville.  So glad I did.  I got to talk to the caseworker at the rehab center where she is staying.  She had been moved to a private room, she had been up and had gone down to lunch and had therapy.  All good things.  However, she slept most of the time I was there and was still very dehydrated.  I tried to get her to take more water, but she just said "Please.  No more."  She needs it so much, but it is hard to press her on it. 

As I was leaving the facility, I looked around at all the residents who were at various stages of need.  This whole aging process really gets to me.  When Anne had asked me that morning if I was afraid of death, I think that I probably am.  But, I am also angry at the process.  There is a part of me that rears up and refuses to be "okay" with it.  Every time I see sickness or attend a visitation at a funeral home I think "This is not the way it was supposed to be.  God designed us for life and death and decay are contrary to the perfect design."  It makes me that much more grateful for Jesus and for his solution to our problem. 

I keep thinking of Sam's comment to Gandalf in Lord of the Rings when, in the final scene he asked Gandalf "Is everything sad going to come untrue?"  Because of Christmas and Easter, our deepest needs are met, our sorrows will be redeemed and all things will be set right. 

This is my greatest hope. 

Yesterday, a dear friend of mine was over here.  She was encouraging me to remember to be thankful in all things.  She lost her son in a car wreck several years ago and she was furious with God about it.  But, she said she took her anger to God and He enabled her to say "thank you".  In no way did she gloss over her loss, but she saw the loss from a new perspective and was able to be grateful.  Only God can do this kind of work in the heart - a transformation that brings healing out of great sorrow.

One of my favorite verses is "The moon will shine like the sun, and the sun like the light of seven full days when God binds up the bruises of his people and heals the wounds he has inflicted."  Isaiah 30:26.

We never call evil good, but the good news is that all things can be redeemed.  That is our greatest Christmas gift.  His presence is our greatest present.

No comments:

Post a Comment