Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Alex to the rescue

The day after I was diagnosed, I sent an email to a biochemist in Canada. I had heard this gentleman talk about how to reboot your immune system and I knew I needed everything working in that direction if I was going to make this a one-time event in my life.

I emailed Alex Biro and asked him if he would forward any recommendations on to me, now that I had a cancer diagnosis. Within twenty minutes, I had an email back "Here's my number. Call me ASAP" I took him up on his offer. Alex is a 70-something gentleman of Hungarian decent. He and his wife are still black diamond skiers and extremely optimistic people.

Alex started out asking me some history questions. Then he said "Somehow, your immune system has been compromised. We all have cancer cells in our bodies every day, but we only get sick if our immune system is overwhelmed." He then proceeded to describe the PITTS - Poor Nutrition, Infection, Trauma, Toxins or Stress. All of which can challenge the immune system. Then, he talked to me about diet.

"One teaspoon of sugar will put your Natural Killer Cells to sleep for five hours." That was a wake-up call (no pun intended). He went on to give me a twenty minute overview of what to do to restore my immune system and I furiously wrote down every word. (I am happy to share that document with anyone who wants it. Just email me.) The main thing I got from Alex was a plan for being very proactive with this situation. That is crucial. A passive, victim mentality is deadly.

I plan to share more of what Alex told me in further posts. At this point, I just wanted to share that, once again, someone was more than willing to help - if I was just willing to ask. Not only did Alex offer me some wonderful advice, but he also became a new friend! What a blessing that is!

No comments:

Post a Comment