Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Week Two

Jim went in with me on Monday because this is the only day of the week I see the doctor.  Besides having his mom in intensive care and his wife having cancer treatments, he started a new job on Monday. (He has just a few things going on in his life.)

I went straight back and changed.  Jim waited out in the lobby.  I couldn't help noticing that there were more people there than usual.  And they seemed to be sicker.  (I passed one man outside the chemo room that was literally grey.  Very sad!)  I wonder if Monday is "see the doctor" day for everybody.

A new nurse came to get me to go back to treatment.  Janet introduced herself and commented that she had not known I was here.  "Did you sign in?"  "I didn't know I was supposed to." I guess there is still protocol I don't know.

After treatment, I stopped at the nursing desk to talk to the nurses.  Gina, one of the nurses, said "Here, pick one."  There were two beautifully crocheted scarves, carefully wrapped with a ribbon and a note, sitting on the counter.  I picked the lavender/aqua heather one.  "We have a group that gets together to make scarves for each of the patients." Gina continued.

The card read:
This scarf has been made for you by a member of the "Circle of Life Knitting Society"  The members of this volunteer group hope that this scarf will be a reminder that your community is surrounding you with love, warmth and hope.

I gave Gina a hug and thanked her. I put the scarf around my neck and went to the exam room to meet the doctor.  (The scarf actually went very well with the three-holed gown.)

Jim came back, the doctor came in, and everything is just fine.  No problems at all.

We went outside and it was freezing.  Mildred was directing a tangle of cars in the tiny parking lot.  There was an older black woman sitting in a wheelchair at the entrance, waiting for her car to be brought around.  Jim went over to check on her.  I teared up watching Jim lean over and talk to her, knowing how much he was carrying in his own heart right now. (Jim told me later that she was pretty tearful.  She had just learned that she had cancer.)

Then, when her car arrived, Jim helped her to her get to her feet from the wheelchair. 

"I got your car, Mrs. Jones.  Let me help you get that." Mildred came over and took her oxygen bag and carried her other things as she helped her to her car. As Mildred got her in, with her seatbelt fastened, we heard her warm, but authoritative voice saying, "You just keep trusting God, Mrs. Jones.  Look to the Lord.  He will help you."  Tears were now rolling down my face.  As our car came around, I went over and gave Mildred a hug and told her she was special and that I appreciated her.

This was probably not the coolest thing to do.  I think I surprised her. I was a little over the top for just getting my car brought around. I think it was just that there is so much going on in our lives right now, that I was a bit overwhelmed.  I plan to apologize to her today for being over the top.  I don't really think that is her style!

1 comment:

  1. well, I sure could have used a hug too...I think it's wonderful that you hugged her and I would make no apologies! What a blessing you are to others! love you
    p.s....by the way, this is me, dena. sidnie is the only one with a google acct.

    ReplyDelete